Saturday, June 27, 2009

Learning...

I went out with Parker yesterday. It's been a while, and I remembered what I do and don't like about it.

I don't like:
Feeling rejected, or seeing Parker working so hard and not being rewarded for it. (In the end his work pays off, it's just sometimes it takes a while to get to those "gems").

I like:
Hanging out with Parker all day.
I enjoy seeing what he does all day, which reminds me to be thankful that even though I get bored, I would have a harder time trying to do what he does all day, with no breaks besides Sundays.
Meeting people and seeing how families run their household, or just people's outlook on life. I try to take mental notes.

I've been thinking about this because we met one of the best families last night! They were a younger couple, had a 3 yr. old daughter and an 8 week old daughter with down syndrome who had only been home a week! We were there for a long time... from about 7:30 to 1:00 in the morning, but time just flew and we got up to leave earlier and said our goodbyes and ended up talking again for another 15 minutes. Anyways, when I saw just how peaceful their home was, and how not only was their 3 yr old well behaved and ADORABLE, she knew so much about the gospel! She knew they needed to read scriptures before bed and loves to pray (all by herself, I was very impressed). Even with a baby who needed lots of attention, they worked so well together... It was so admirable. Anyways, I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I don't feel like I'm even doing these people justice, but it's families like this (and other's we've met and known throughout our lives) that inspire me to be like that too! I don't expect perfection, but just really giving your best effort goes a long way.

On another note, Parker's had his BEST week so far! As part of an incentive that the whole team won a few weeks ago, we're going out to dinner tonight on Living Scriptures! Wahoo! I love going out to eat. We went to Texas Roadhouse when Lance, Parker's supervisor/advisor (? I don't know what his title is ?), was here last weekend, and I had no idea what I'd been missing out on my whole life. Heavenly. Rolls with honey-butter that melt in your mouth, mashed potatoes loaded with butter and sour cream, and Salmon drenched in lemon butter sauce, (are you noticing a distict "butter" trend?) Sinfully delicious with leftovers to boot. But I digress... Tonight we're trying a place that was started here in Columbus called Max and Erma's. Sigh. I'm excited.

1 comment:

  1. You are so adorable! I'm so jealous you get to go out with Parker. I wish I could go out with Adam, he always has funny and very interesting stories. I'm so glad Parker is doing so well. And I totally agree on the going out to dinner thing. Adam and I went out to dinner last night and loved it...probably because we rarely go out.

    I'm so glad you are learning out there and having fun. Miss ya!!

    ReplyDelete